Monday, September 24, 2012

Countdown to Yoga School ~ Day 20

Hey Everyone,

I am officially 20 days away from beginning yoga teacher training at Kripalu!  After I paid my first half of my tuition for school I was sent the official welcome package with information on what to expect, a tentative daily schedule, reading list and some suggestions of things to do before arriving at school.

One of the things that stuck out for me was the suggestion that we do yoga once a day for a month before we arrive. Uh...what??!!!  I mean it makes sense, but I have not been practicing like that for a bit. I've been going 2-3 times a week, but not every day.  In fact I haven't done yoga every day since a while after I did my 30 days of yoga (Facebook: Reflections on 30 Days of Yoga/Feb. 2010).  So I needed to get on it and quick.

I do Karmi (Karma yoga) work at Area Yoga in Brooklyn. For those of you who don't know what that means, it's work/study. So I work at the studio four hours a week and I get all my yoga for free!  Lots of studios do this so if you are looking for a way to practice more, but can't afford to pay for regular classes, consider work/study.  It has been a blessing to me.  Especially right at this moment.

So today I started my once a day yoga and it just so happened it turned out to be a private lesson.  Why? Because I was the only one who got up and made it to the 8:15 class!  I've never had a private lesson before and I have to say that now I totally understand why people do it.  In my mind I was thinking that the energy of doing the practice with people is so powerful because there is a lot of energy moving through the room and sometimes that helps to keep you moving, but the one-on-one was really powerful too. Maybe it's because you actually get all the attention on you. The teacher can really help you make adjustments so the next time you go into the pose you have a new outlook on it.

Keri Setaro was my teacher today. Little does she know she's another one of my inspirations. She's a yoga instructor, but she is also an actress and a voice over artist.  I love to meet people who are combining their traditional artistic love with the healing arts.  That's totally my plan so I love to see other people working it.  If you are ever in Brooklyn and are thinking about class and maybe find yourself thinking about Area, look up Keri. I really like her style. In 2003 I had shoulder surgery and although I'm fine, sometimes I feel like I have grandma shoulder. You know the one that acts up when it's going to rain or some other weather change happens. Well today, Keri gave me some great suggestions on how to work with my shoulder to give myself more space across my shoulders and upper back.  It was amazing!  This was a great way to kickoff my countdown to school. 

Speaking of school, I am still in fundraising mode.  I have until Oct. 9th (15 days ) to get the rest of my tuition in. I have to be paid in full before I walk though the door.  So if you are inspired, please donate to making this dream come true by clicking the GoFundMe button below. I am confident that I will get there, but I do need your help.  If you cannot donate at this time, please spread the word. You can do that by clicking the link below and "Like" the page if you are on Facebook, Tweet about it or Pin it. It all works.

Thank you so much for waking this journey with me.  I'm so excited and I can't wait to share all the details.

Have a great Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment