Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yoga Passbook 2011 - Area Yoga/A New Home Down the Road

September 13th

Old Home of Area Yoga

I made a schedule of where I was going to go for this week in yoga. It didn’t work out yesterday, but I was determined to go to Area Yoga today. Area is my yoga home. That is where I did my 30 days and I know many of the teachers there. They also moved to a new location just down the street on Court St. in Cobble Hill, but I hadn’t been there so I was looking forward to seeing it. I decided to go to Keely’s class because I hadn’t seen her in a while. She was teaching the Open Level class at 9:15am.

I got myself together this morning, jumped on my bike and headed to Cobble Hill. When I got to the spot I could tell already that it was a nice shift. At the old place the downstairs part of the building had been under construction forever. At the new spot you enter on the ground floor and there is a small boutique carrying clothes, mats, candles and even yoga underwear. But what exactly are yoga underwear? Sorry I didn’t get a close enough look at what make them fit for yoga, but I did see someone buy a pair.

I got there a little early so I went upstairs and put my mat down in the new studio. The room seems like it’s a little smaller than the old space, but it’s much nicer. The floor doesn’t creek and the windows are beautiful. It would be a hell of an apartment!

I settled in and people started coming soon after. I thought it might be a nice small class, but boy was I wrong. Clearly the 9:15 open class at Area is the class to hit. That spot was packed. I’m always surprised when I see people at yoga a 9:15am as if I’m the only one who has day time space in their life. I forget that people are stay at home mom’s, work the night shift, work for themselves and the list goes on.

By the time Keely got there and started we had to readjust to fit more people in. It was so stacked that we had to get to know our classmates intimately. Lol

I always like Keely’s classes because she starts with chanting. Before this class the only vocalizing that I have been doing was Om, but today I added the chant. It felt good, but I’m not going to push it.

Keely’s Open classes are always challenging, but today was extra. It was rigorous and I was sweating like it was nobody’s business. Classes like that always make me wonder why people do hot yoga. Yoga is hot enough without all the extra heat. I know you Bikram folks love your Bikram, but I’m still trying to understand. Especially in Vinyasa Flow so much heat is generated and on this day I was drenched. I don’t usually bring a towel to class because usually I can work with the sweat, but today I needed a Rasheed Wallace basketball sweatband for real!

Keely had us doing poses, many of which I had to modify because my body has not caught up with my mind yet. I also needed to remain mindful of my shoulder. Chaturanga was still feeling a little funky. So in this class there were not too many vinyasas for me. Just straight into Downward Dog for me. Today she had us try Crow pose. Again not so much for me and my shoulder, but I did give it a little try. The shoulder didn’t hurt so much in Side Angle or in Triangle today. Vasisthasana (side plank pose) was a little tough, but I made it through with some modification. We went through all the Warriors, Tree pose, Virasana and the list went on and on. I was a sweaty mess about ½ way though, but it was worth it.

After class I felt great and got a chance to reconnect with Keely and a couple of other folks I had taken class with in the past. It was a really sweet ending to a wonderful class.

I’m so glad yoga is back in my life. Although my outsides are screaming (I have a heating patch on my lower back right now!) my insides smiling. Until next time…


New Home of Area Yoga, 389 Court Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment